Wednesday, March 08, 2006

happy IWD?

This is the first time in the last 5 years that i haven't been to an International Women's Day rally. It definitely feels like something's missing. I know that rallies and demonstrations simply aren't gonna be enough to change anything, but it sure as hell is a good start. There's just something about taking to the streets with tens/hundreds/thousands of people and being together to collectively give voice to our anger/hurt/pain/visions. The state represses peoples' ability to come together in collective struggle for good reason. Not being able to come together keeps our struggles individualized, keeps us feeling alone and isolated, demoralizes us.

It's demoralized me.

IWD came to me today in a wave of outrageous news bites (South Dakota is fucking banning abortion), pitiful images of poor oppressed brown and black women, celebration stories of women who've 'made it' despite the 'odds' (boo hoo..poor lil' woman CEO), and intense marketing campaigns to capitalize on this day to sell more patriarchal shit to women.

So fuck patriarchy, fuck state repression, and that is that.


All of ya'll who were on the streets today had better appreciate what you've got. This is the only catharsis i get.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy international women's day, lady.

Up with women's resistance to Imperialism! Power to the sisters! (down with men!)

If it makes you feel any better, the IWD rally in vancouver was interrupted by a hailstorm. It was SO cold and wet that even our militancy was dampened.

-jlefty

6:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Though the IWD rally did have some hailstorm, I must say it was still good to be there. It was a small crowd, but with some very amazing women! I was sick and cold, but inside I could feel the strength from being with so many amazing women. I even met a Mexican woman I didn't know--and it turns ouot her mother organizes Mexican farm workers in Quebec. That definitely warmed me up.

And just before going to the march, I saw 2 women who were important to me and the direction I now took in my life. One is Quebecois and another is Guatemalan (back living there now! yeah!)--both are popular educators, and been doing a lot over decades and decades. Just to see them made me really, really happy!!

You are definitely not far from our minds and hearts--so hope that some of this sentiment I feel can be transmitted over all these thousands of miles!! I am sure that it can.

e

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home